Arab League: Israel playing with fire at al-Aqsa Mosque

Arab League: Israel playing with fire at al-Aqsa Mosque

The Arab League has strongly condemned the Israel’s new measures against al-Aqsa Mosque in the occupied Old City of Jerusalem al-Quds, stressing that the Tel Aviv regime is “playing with fire” at the highly sensitive sacred site.

“Jerusalem al-Quds is a red line,” the regional organization’s chief Ahmed Abul Gheit said in a statement released on Sunday.

He added that “no Arab or Muslim will accept violations” against holy sites in the city.

Abul Gheit further accused Israel of “adventurism” and said its imposition of fresh restrictive measures could trigger a “crisis with the Arab and Muslim world.”

The statement came as two Palestinian teenagers have succumbed to their injuries sustained during clashes in protest at Israel’s imposition of restrictive measures at the al-Aqsa Mosque compound, including the installment of metal detectors and cameras, following a deadly shooting attack late last week.

The Palestinian Health Ministry said 17-year-old Oday Nawajaa died on Saturday after being hit by Israeli live fire in the West Bank city of al-Eizariya.

Another 18-year-old Palestinian suffered fatal injuries in the West Bank town of Abu Dis, when a petrol bomb exploded prematurely.

On July 14, three Palestinians opened fire on Israeli forces at the al-Aqsa Mosque compound, killing two of them before being shot dead.